IPV6 renumbering painless?

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Sun Nov 14 00:23:17 UTC 2004

On 13 Nov 2004, at 13:32, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "Paul Vixie" <vixie at vix.com>
>
>>> There is currently no PI in IPv6 unless you're an internet exchange
>>> or
>>> a root server.
>>
>> ...but i really do think of 2001:4f8::/32 as PI, even though ISC is
>> neither
>> an IX nor a rootserver.  (f-root has its own /48, which is something
>> else.)
>
> So you're claiming that any IPv6 PI applicant without your political
> connections to the IESG, ARIN, IANA, etc. can get a /32?  I don't know
> exactly how many subnets/hosts ISC has, but I seriously doubt ISC
> could even get a PI /48 if you weren't buddies with the folks making
> allocation decisions.

Nobody is required to count hosts or subnets in order to justify a
request for PI v6 space from an RIR. All an applicant needs to do is
meet the criteria laid out in the policies, and addresses are assigned
or allocated.

Anybody who wants to examine the real policies should go and look at
the source documents at ARIN, but to paraphrase them here, an applicant
who operates an exchange point, or operates critical Internet
infrastructure can obtain a PI /48 assignment from ARIN for that
purpose; an applicant who has a plan to assign PA addresses to 200
other organisations within 2 years can get a /32 to make the
assignments from.

The policies specify other requirements for subsequent address
requests, and for organisations that need more than a /32 worth of
addresses, but for people applying for their first block that paragraph
sums it up (however, read the source documents at <http://www.arin.net>
rather than taking my word for it).

I would expect ARIN staff to ensure that applications were reasonable,
accurate and met the criteria set out in the policy before handing out
any resources. ARIN staff have always been very rigourous in this
regard whenever I have had occasion to send them a request.

Joe