IPV6 renumbering painless?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Nov 13 18:32:42 UTC 2004

Thus spake "Paul Vixie" <vixie at vix.com>
> iljitsch at muada.com (Iljitsch van Beijnum) writes:
>> Wow, IPv6 misinformation is reaching unprecendented heights here on
>> NANOG...
>
> yes.  for example, you wrote...
>
>> There is currently no PI in IPv6 unless you're an internet exchange or
>> a root server.
>
> ...but i really do think of 2001:4f8::/32 as PI, even though ISC is
> neither
> an IX nor a rootserver.  (f-root has its own /48, which is something
> else.)

So you're claiming that any IPv6 PI applicant without your political
connections to the IESG, ARIN, IANA, etc. can get a /32?  I don't know
exactly how many subnets/hosts ISC has, but I seriously doubt ISC could even
get a PI /48 if you weren't buddies with the folks making allocation
decisions.

Most companies do not have the advantages you apparently take for granted;
the IETF thus far has been adamant that only ISPs will get PI space, no
matter how big an end-user site may be, exceptions for the IETF/IANA
leadership's employers notwithstanding.