IPV6 renumbering painless?

Hank Nussbacher hank at mail.iucc.ac.il
Sat Nov 13 17:11:57 UTC 2004

At 09:39 AM 12-11-04 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:

> > Fortunately there are 'only' 65k ASN's, thus that would mean only 65k
> > routes in the routing table, which should be quite practical. Seeing
> > only ~650 routes now I don't see that happening that soon, especially
> > with the slowness of deployment of IPv6 in the US, though it is catching
> > on ;). Left to wonder though what happens when we run out of ASN's,
> > 32bit ones?
> >
>32bit ASNs are already in the works.  I would expect not more than 2-3
>years before you see widespread 32bit ASN code in routers.

Hmmmm:
Routing Table Report   04:00 +10GMT Sat 13 Nov, 2004

Analysis Summary

BGP routing table entries examined:                              150665
     Prefixes after maximum aggregation:                           88779
     Unique aggregates announced to Internet:                      71952
Total ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:                 18421 <----

30% usage and we need 32 bit ASNs?

-Hank