I want my own IPs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 13 17:11:55 UTC 2004

Actually, that's not true.  The requirement for a direct end-user assignment
of any size includes multihoming.  Since RFC-compliant multihoming requires
an ASN (consistent origin AS), one of the metrics used to determine if an
organization is multihomed is the possession of (or application for) an ASN.
This applies to any prefix size.  Initially, there were going to be separate
more stringent rules for obtaining a /24 microallocation, but, in the
process of watering 2002-3 down to a /22, most of these additional
requirements were also removed.  The resulting policy is, in fact,
essentially
identical to the current policy except for the minimum allocation unit, and,
the specification that /22 and /21 assignments and allocations will be taken
from a different address pool than the larger ones.

Owen

--On Saturday, November 13, 2004 4:38 AM -0500 Marshall Eubanks