I want my own IPs

Will Yardley william+nanog at hq.dreamhost.com
Sat Nov 13 04:45:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 10:21:49AM -0800, Philip Lavine wrote:

> I have recently been turned down by ARIN for an address
> block. I currently have 4 /24's from ISP's and would like IP
> independence. How do I convince ARIN to give me a block -- /20 I
> guess? The form I filled out does not make it easy.

Aside from everything else that's been mentioned in this thread,
keeping really good records of your network is very helpful (it's
helpful for other things as well, of course). In our case, pretty much
all of our services are managed, and all our DNS records etc. are
generated, so it's very easy for us to generate lists of websites on a
particular IP, basic lists of IP assignments, or whatever, since the
information is already there in our database.

Obviously if we were doing more sub-assignments to other
organizations, it would be harder to make sure we had all that
information available in a reasonably consistent (and up to date)
form.... however I imagine it's possible.

If you keep all that information in some sort of database from the
start (and for 4 /24s, it's not /that/ much information), it should be
relatively easy to write some quick and dirty scripts to provide ARIN
with the information they need, and you'll be more easily able to
provide the information as your network grows.

ARIN is picky about certain things, but I've found them to be pretty
reasonable and efficient as long as you can provide them with the
information they need, and (of course) as long as you can actually
justify your request.

Of course, just because you want to have IP independence probably
isn't going to be good enough for them - you'll have to demonstrate
that you need to be multihomed or have other needs that require you to
get PI space.

They probably gave you a reason when they turned you down - perhaps
you need to pay attention to what they told you, and resubmit your
application after correcting the problem(s) that caused them to turn
you down.

And it's possible that you may just need to wait longer until you can
really justify a larger allocation.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."