IPV6 renumbering painless?

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Fri Nov 12 18:43:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 01:44:50AM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> And yes, I think all the workstations WILL need to do DHCP and not
> use stateless autoconfig. Workstations are being managed by IT
> departments, and they do want to be able to SSH to them all and have
> DNS forward/reverse mapping.

Ohh, Autoconfig (with the MAC-Address in the host bits) actually makes
it easier for me to log into a workstation.

I just keep 2 lists:

1) all prefixes in my network
2) all Macaddresses in use.

Now I can loop through all prefixes and try to ping the macaddress I want
to reach (with the occasional fffe in the middle).

Hoping that the MAC is really unique (we do not use 3com cards
anymore) I can actually find a specific Laptop on my network
easy without even knowing where the user is.

> I can see NOTHING in IPv6 which makes real world networks any easier
> to renumber than IPv4 networks ASIDE the fact that if /48 addressing
> is used, renumbering becomes a search-and-replace thing for large
> parts of it.

I agree to that, though.

> Stateless autoconfig doesn't really provide any added value for ad-hoc
> mobile clients than DHCP does in v4 - au contraire, as all the other
> information a DHCP server might offer is not provided with stateless
> autoconfig.

Knowing what the host-part of the IP-Address will be for the a
specific device is an advantage I believe.

Nils