IPV6 renumbering painless?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 12 17:39:57 UTC 2004

> Fortunately there are 'only' 65k ASN's, thus that would mean only 65k
> routes in the routing table, which should be quite practical. Seeing
> only ~650 routes now I don't see that happening that soon, especially
> with the slowness of deployment of IPv6 in the US, though it is catching
> on ;). Left to wonder though what happens when we run out of ASN's,
> 32bit ones?

32bit ASNs are already in the works.  I would expect not more than 2-3
years before you see widespread 32bit ASN code in routers.

> As those policies are decided upon by the membership, feed your input to
> ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/LACNIC...

My RIR is ARIN, and, I am an active participant in the ARIN process.
However, my comments on this issue started because I believe ULA will make
ARIN or other RIR policies regarding allocation virtually irrelevant because
economic pressure will drive ISPs to globally route ULA prefixes, which
allocation is not controlled by RIR policy.

Owen