IPV6 renumbering painless?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 12 17:13:10 UTC 2004

> That is exactly what PI is. The word "allocate" used by RIRs usually
> corresponds to PI. The corresponding word for PA is "assign".

Um, sorry, Joe, not quite... RIRs use "ALLOCATE" to define space that they
have allocated to a "PROVIDER" who will then act as an "LIR" and delegate
the space to "other organizations".

RIRs use "ASSIGN" to define space that is designated to a particular
end-user who will not act as an "LIR" and will not delegate the
space to "other organizations".

In the v4 world, at least for the ARIN RIR, there is a significant
difference
in cost between being an LIR (which also gives you automatic membership
status in ARIN, but, causes your annual fees to be based on the amount
of space allocated to you) and a "Direct End User" (which means you pay
initial fees for each assignment, but, your annual fee is $100 per ORGID
regardless of how much space or how many ASNs you consume).  In part, this
fee structure makes sense because LIRs are requiring additional support
from ARIN to maintain SWIP or pursue RWHOIS entries.

Owen