IPV6 renumbering painless?

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Nov 11 16:22:28 UTC 2004

> I guess you also want to announce a /64 into the IPv6 BGP tables ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't IPv6 do away
with the need to renumber when switching providers?
So if RFC 2462 is right, and you use DNS outside
your network and you update that DNS at the moment
of switching providers, everything on your network
automatically acquires new IPv6 globally routable
addresses as soon as the gateway router is connected
to the new provider. Seems to me that with a little
bit of help from a "Change providers" tool, this
would be virtually painless without the need to
own or announce a small globally unique prefix.

--Michael Dillon