Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Nov 10 00:04:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> As long as IPv4 exists, which I predict will be a long time, the
> "protocol designers" which are really application developers for
> your purposes, will write to the lowest common denominator. [...]
>
> So with the protocols still designed to work over IPv4 NAT, [...]

Not quite true.  With the coming of IPv6 (+NAT traversing technologies
requiring only little of the network, like Teredo) in large scale to
the home desktops (think Windows XP SP2), it's quite conceivable we're
going to have large-scale v6-only applications relatively soon -- for
the cases where the application in question would not have to deal
with NAT traversal logic at all if it were to choose v6-only approach.