Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Nov 9 16:29:09 UTC 2004

In a message written on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:51:10AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> Perhaps Nokia wants to make cellphones with a fixed IPv6 number - as it
> leaves the factory?   -Hank

It was relayed to me that at least one group was asking about using
IPv6 addresses to replace UPC codes, since they are running out of
UPC codes.  I believe they were told that would be inappropriate.

However, if you can get addresses for free, and they are guaranteed
to be globally unique, and not to appear on the public internet I'm
not sure what the barrier to such an application would be....