why is a raven like a writing desk?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Nov 9 12:52:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 01:34:11PM +0100, Niels Bakker wrote:

> * hank at mail.iucc.ac.il (Hank Nussbacher) [Tue 09 Nov 2004, 10:53 CET]:
> > Perhaps Nokia wants to make cellphones with a fixed IPv6 number - as it
> > leaves the factory?   -Hank
>
> They could implement such an insane plan with a /64 until long after
> 32-bit time_t rolls over.
>

> 	-- Niels.

	hummm. looks like a classic blunder to me...
	so i ask the question (no its not retorical and i
	do know the correct answer :)

	what would such an address be used for?
	a fixed IP address assigned at the factory has all the attributes
	of an ethernet MAC address. :)  e.g. it "names" the interface at layer2.

	i believe that an ip -ADDRESS- is an indication of -WHERE- in
	the topology a node currently sits, btu the address is not the name.

	so are IPv6 numbers "addresses" or "names"?  or some bastard combination
	foisted on the poor operations community who is left with trying to
	figure it out? :)

--bill