DNS Problems on Saturday Night?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Nov 8 23:19:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, John Neiberger wrote:
> Forgive me for not having more technical information about this issue.
> Beginning sometime around 4:00 PM MST on Saturday, I started seeing
> horrible slowness on my home Internet connection through Comcast, and I
> also noticed that I was seeing numerous timeouts on DNS lookups. At the
> same time, a friend of mine who also uses Comcast was seeing the same
> thing. Approximately a third of my DNS lookups were timing out.

I had lots of problems with Comcast DNS over the weekend.  The Comcast
network status said some undefined network maintenance was occuring.
When I used a different provider at the same time, I didn't see any
problems.  So I just assumed it was the usual Comcast gremlins and
used an alternate provider for a while.  By Sunday whatever the network
maintenance or problem was seemed to have cleared up.