Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Nov 8 21:15:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:46:05PM -0500, Daniel Senie wrote:
> Reason #3: A separate set of blocks should be set aside for use ONLY in
> documentation.

inet6num:     2001:0DB8::/32
netname:      IPV6-DOC-AP
descr:        IPv6 prefix for documentation purpose
[...]
remarks:      This address range is to be used for documentation
remarks:      purpose only. For more information please see
remarks:
http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/ipv6-documentation-prefix-faq.html

> Reason #4: Initial configuration of equipment which lacks a console port. I
> know, you're going to suggest the use of autoconfiguration mechanisms or
> DHCP. That's sometimes hard, for example in the case of a broadband
> "router" (home gateway) box that's going to be the DHCP server, print
> servers, and other such equipment.

I don't see that this is "hard". The box will get a /48 from the ISP's
DHCPv6 server (or whatever is used for that) and re-use subnets for
that for inside routing. Like simply the first /64, and doing router
advertisements on the inside ethernet for this subnet to allow
autoconfig of the hosts of the home LAN.

Regards,
Daniel