AOL tarpitting?

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Fri Nov 5 20:56:37 UTC 2004

At 2:26 PM -0500 11/5/04, Mark Jeftovic wrote:
>had AOL tarpitting gotten quite a bit more aggressive in the last
>few days?

One of the sites I run (hosted on cihost) recently started getting
bad SMTP responses from AOL.  We worked around by routing AOL and
Compuserver mail through a gateway that cihost claims is "clean", but
we haven't been able to get a clear story on why our IPs were being
blocked, or how to unblock them.  I had heard elsewhere that AOL is
cracking down on ISPs they feel aren't keeping clean, but I don't
know if that's related.