Low latency forwarding failure detection

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) fergdawg at netzero.net
Thu Nov 4 15:33:11 UTC 2004

John,

I'm using GLBP round-robin in a specific scenario with
"ip routing" as the tracking mechanism, and only in this
one specific segment if the network (OSPF elsewhere), with
EIGRP as the routing protocol between R1, R2, R3, and R4:

        -----+---FE----+-----
             |         |
            R1        R2
             |         |
            T3         T3
             |         |
            R3        R4
             |         |
         ----+----FE---+-----

GLBP works very well here for us based on EIGRP routing
metrics.

There's a very good GLBP config white paper on CCO.

No sure if this answers your question, or not....

- ferg

-- John Kristoff <jtk at northwestern.edu> wrote:

  I'm cco-familiar with GLBP.  It appears to have essentially the same
  timing knobs with the ability to actively load balance traffic.  Is
  my assumption that some traffic will not experience any packet loss
  if it is not using the failed path correct?  For anyone who has used
  this, was the added complexity of this protocol worth it?

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg at netzero.net or
 fergdawg at sbcglobal.net