Network Monitoring System - Recommendations?

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Thu Nov 4 15:11:30 UTC 2004

Hi Charlie -

We use JFFNMS here (http://www.jffnms.org/).

We have it monitoring BGP with our 6 backbone providers, all of our T1's
(300 or so), DSL lines, dedicated servers, backing up all of our router
configs, talking to our F5s, pretty much everything you are asking for.
We use it extensively to grab traps and notify my NOC of any problems.
Overall I would say that it is monitoring over 15,000 connections and
pieces of hardware.

We have its bandwidth monitoring and tracking talking directly to our
billing engine and allow our customers the ability to log into it and
view all of their stats as well.

We don't use it to monitor uptime as we utilize different hardware for
that but my guess is that with some minor tweaking it could do that as
well.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:01:42 -0700
"Charlie Khanna - NextWeb" <charlie at nextweb.net> wrote:

> Hi - I was interested in finding out what software applications other ISPs
> are using for network monitoring?  For example:
>

> 1)       Overall network health - uptime reports
>
> 2)       Backup router config automatically
>
> 3)       Bandwidth reporting (or integration with an MRTG-type app)
>
> 4)       SNMP trap support (BGP/OSPF session drops - emails out)
>
> 5)       Database back end (port info into or over to other apps)
>

> I'm just looking for something well rounded for a small ISP.  I've heard
> about OpenNMS and other apps but I'd like to get everyone's feedback.
> Thanks!
>

> -Charlie

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Internet Services
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."