best effort has problems

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sat May 29 16:38:26 UTC 2004

GC> Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:58:06 -0400
GC> From: Gordon Cook

GC> I published a two month issue last weekend with the bottom
GC> line conclusion that there can be no telecom recovery as
GC> long as the industry relies solely on the best effort
GC> business model which I believe is not economically
GC> sustainable.

The PSTN doesn't offer guaranteed end-to-end transmission, and
certainly statmuxes based on expected load.  Looks like similar
capacity planning.

Perhaps you refer to latency.  Most people don't care as long as
HTTP and POP3 latency is "good enough" -- and server response
time is often a substantial consideration.  SMTP really isn't
picky about latency or jitter.

Maybe you mean packet loss.  Most everyone here can recall the
days of 30% packet loss across congested MAE FDDI fabric, but
that went away what seems like eons ago.

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/