Cisco HFR

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue May 25 20:09:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> Interestingly the OC-768 card has a max transmit power of 5dB and is
> short-range optics only.  As far as I know there are no 2R or 3R
> regeneration solutions for long haul 40Gb/s circuits, nor are there any
> DWDM systems that can do 8, 16 or 32 40Gb/s wavelengths.

It will be interesting to see if any future 40Gb/s systems will be able to
keep the 15-20dB dampening budget (60-80km fiber) that most current
placement of amplifier stations has been designed after (due to 10G
systems having that capability).

Dispersion and all the other problems will be quite interesting to see how
they are solved. My guess is that multiple 10G will be the more economical
path still for years to come.

The big question is also how this is going to affect price as all the over
capacity built in 99-01 now is being used up and what kind of prices we'll
see in the market when all the second hand gear is deployed and the only
future path is to buy new.

One consolidation is that wide deployment of 10GE will hopefully bring
down the price of optics radically as volume go up.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se