handling ddos attacks

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri May 21 17:11:21 UTC 2004

: the best thing is if you call the FBI, or NIPC.  if you call your local FBI
: field office and say you're experiencing a cyberattack and could they give
: you the number for NIPC then it'll probably produce the results you want,
: even if NIPC has been renamed one or more times since i last talked to them,
: or if this old functionality within FBI is now handled by DHS, or both.

> Call your local branch of the US Secret Service, if you're in the
> states, and ask for their electronic crimes division.  If you're not in
> the states, contact your comprable local authority.  They can work with
> you to coordinate with other jurisdictions, etc.

Wow, you guys have a lot of time on your hands!  A DoS program was put on
a PC where I do my day job and was put there by someone from the 81.x.x.x
range.  I have to get back to doing the netgeeking that I missed while
troubleshooting the problem.  How much more of my time do you think it'd
take to convince international authorities that some kid who ran LC4 from
Europe, got a password and put something from
       http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/DoS/index.html
on one of the computers to attack his enemy of the day is worth their time
and effort?  Think globally.  It ain't gonna happen...

: > Ok, I 'll buy that right now; we have a DDoS Attack on our core nameservers
: > from 66.165.10.24. Where do we start, do I call the police in Bellingham or
: > Washington State Police. We have blocked their ips but, we know they will
: > come in another way.

You could always call someone here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/contactmap.html and we could bomb the
crap outta them if they're not in the US...

scott