fiber cut 19 May/PM -> 20 May/AM in Ashburn, VA (lawnmower?!)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri May 21 14:42:14 UTC 2004

>> configuration known as "collapsed backbone".  in this instance, both
>> pairs of fiber ride in the same conduit for some portion of the
>> distance
>

> ... or even as two wavelengths on the same pair of fibre.
>
> It's a sick, sick, twisted world.

Come on, that is what we call lambda-diversity. In case your fiber fails
to carry, say 1550nm in the middle of the night, you are protected with
your 1590nm lambda.

I don't believe how many people engineer for physical diversity and not
lambda diversity -- and then its too late.

<jk, I've been up since 6:30am>

DJ