ntp config tech note

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri May 21 02:07:08 UTC 2004

"Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan at verisign.com> writes:

> That's NTPv4 isn't it?
>
> I also prefer to use three peers vs. two. Always an odd number,
> greater than 1. Assumptions can't be made about the mathematics
> behind time, but in a reference model, odd numbers are better.

Actually, three is not enough; Mills says at least four.  Diversity in
manufacturer (and controlling organization if you can spare the
cycles) is a big big plus. You may wish to read Dr. Mills' post to
comp.protocols.time.ntp in the wake of the TrueTime bug of the
2001->2002 new year:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=3C32924F.994E1D01%40udel.edu

                                        ---Rob