ntp config tech note

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu May 20 21:12:31 UTC 2004

"Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net> writes:

> OK. Am I in a alternate universe? I have run ntpdate for years on a
> variety of systems, almost all of the BSD family. (I count the VMS
> implementation in TGV software as BSD.) I have never seen '-g' and have
> always had '-b' as the boot option. I have confirmed the '-b' with the
> official sources at Deleware.

According to the current man page for ntpd, the ntpdate is "to be
retired", hence the incorporation of the functionality of ntpdate(8)
into the ntpd(8) program.

It's not clear to me why Randy considered this newsworthy enough to
post to NANOG, nor why he feels the need to "write it up" rather than
just sending his internal customer an excerpt of the man page, where
this behavior is clearly documented (and has been since at least xntp3
circa 1997).  Is it possible he's decided to compete with the guys who
discovered last week that CSMA networks are vulnerable to jabber?

                                        ---Rob