Dell power connect switches.

Kevin C Miller kevinm at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 20 20:27:11 UTC 2004

> Can anyone tell me any good/bad points about them?

I looked at the 3248 and 5224s about a year ago, and would strongly advise
against deploying any of the gear in a production environment. They had a
number of issues with LACP/dot1q. The most severe issue is that the
management interface would occasionally crash hard -- no control possible,
even by serial line. It was still passing packets, but had to be reloaded
to change anything. They were also a number of exploits of the web
interface (incorrect implementations of access control, improper bounds
checking, etc.)

You get what you pay for. I believe the switches are OEMed from Accton;
you'll find other vendors (e.g. SMC) selling the same boxes.

-Kevin