OT: Avi Freeman at the WSOP

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu May 20 19:34:42 UTC 2004

On May 20, 2004, at 2:46 PM, Timothy Brown wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 02:12:04PM -0400, irv at panix.com wrote:
>>
>> Avi Freeman is at the final two tables of the $5000 Pot-Limit Omaha
>> event
>> at the World Series of Poker:
>>
>> 	http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result8742.htm
>>
>> Pre-congratulations to Avi on making it that far in one of the
>> toughest
>> events against one of the toughest fields of the WSOP.
>
> Minor correction: Freedman

He made the money, but has to go back at 2 PM (PST) for the final
round.  This is pretty impressive given that 1) He has had about 4
hours sleep (on an airplane) in the 48 before the tournament and B) Avi
only paid $5K, no rebuys, no add ons.  The top player had to buy more
chips multiple times.  Right now Avi is guaranteed a $10K profit no
matter what.  Some of the other people are not guaranteed a profit
unless they make it to the top 5 or so.

Funny stories about his tournament play: During the 1 hour dinner
break, Avi wen to play a cash game instead of eating. :)  And this
morning, he spent a couple hours on his computer fixing his personal
server instead of sleeping some more. (Worse, he had to do it over a
modem!)

> OT notes: Many of your fellow network engineers play poker, and, having
> sat at a table with Avi and some other Akamai folks, I wouldn't want
> to meet
> them at WSOP with a lower chip count ;)
>
> PS - If you are interested in the Texas Reunion in SF, drop me a line.
> This is not for people from Texas. :-)

I am soooooooo in.

--
TTFN,