Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue May 18 11:17:44 UTC 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 4:13 AM, Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Matthew
>
> Spamassassin needs quite a bit of tweaking above the out of the box
> setup. I run about 7000 messages a day here, 70% spam, .5% virus
> (clamav and Sophos), very very rarely a FP. I get bove 99% hit rate
> after adding in bayes, serveral additional rules from
> www.rulesemporium.org and the URI checkes. Runs on a 600mhz celeron
> with load avg < .5

I agree that everything the Barracuda does can be done by hand.  I had
a choice of either spending $4k for a 'set it and forget it' type spam
solution or continue to spend days per month of my time tweaking my old
setup.   I chose to go with the commercial route which will easily save
me $$ and more importantly frustration over the course of this year.  I
can spend my time building my business now instead of tweaking my mail
server.

Barracuda is built on open source, It boots LILO then goes into
'secret' mode.  I don't think they added any black magic to the box.
They just assembled the open source parts and shrink wrapped it into a
very easy to manage solution.

-Matt