CiSCO IOS 12.* source code stolen

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Mon May 17 00:29:12 UTC 2004

I should not be too aware of the possible usage of this source code for the
exploit development; Cisco have a very few
points, where it parse/process IP packets, and most of such points are
filtered out in most Cisco's.

Much more serious is _trade secrets_ issue. Of course, no one can take this
codes and use them on their equipment, or grab library and reuse it. But,
unfortunately, Cisco's codes should have many small tricks, smart design
solutions and so on, which makes IOS so efficient, and this things can be
reused by competitors (unfortunately for Cisco, only a few West countries
respect author's rights, in other people are free to purchase this source
codes from the hacker and use as much as they do want).

(Of course, this leak can result in a few more SNMP exploits - but it is
well known Issue /it is impossible to write out safe code for ASN.1 parser,
in real world/ - what's a surprise!).