Cisco's Statement about IPR Claimed in draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu May 13 15:50:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:51:53 EDT, Todd Vierling <tv at duh.org>  said:

> Gimme a break.  This text is a half-baked concoction at best if the next
> draft still doesn't mention port randomization as a cheap and effective
> mitigator for external attack attempts.  You can get at least 14 bits of
> entropy for one lousy arc4random() call.  Enter as often as you like.  No
> purchase required.
>
> With this and the patent funny business, I don't know if I can roll my eyes
> any further into the back of my head.

Well.. you have to remember that we live in an environment where people
are *just* noticing that RFC793 says "The RST has to be in the window,
not dead on"... and apparently overnight somebody has re-discovered the
fact that CSMA/CA networks will fall over if somebody starts jabbering:

http://www.auscert.org.au/render.html?it=4091