Type of Service (TOS)

Vicky Rode vickyr at socal.rr.com
Mon May 10 16:57:12 UTC 2004

Hi there,

Say if I had a qos appliance installed on networks between a lan and a
wan box would the qos policies be carried across wan end points (point
to point connection)? In other words, will the router retain the TOS
bits across to the other side of the wan connection to provide QoS-style
priority for the packets or will it clear the TOS bits? BTW, the other
side of the wan connection also has the qos appliance sitting between a
lan and a wan box.

Just so that I'm clear, I'm not talking about an upstream neighbor being
an ISP connection  which I know they will likely ignore the TOS bits
unless I pay them extra for the feature. The above scenario is a point
to point connection to a remote site.

Any insight will be appreciated.

regards,
/vicky