Filtering network content (rev.)

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Mon May 10 06:51:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 07:30:53AM -0700, Eastgard, Tom wrote:

> Is content filtering something ISPs are looking at or already doing?

A few do but generally most implementations I've seen use some form of
filtering firewall/proxy with an external database (Watchguard etc).
Schools internet is increasingly integrated so will be done more
centrally - I suppose in effect by the "service provider".

> I'm assuming this question would mostly apply to European, Asian, or Middle
> Eastern Internet access services...

I think it's fair to say that cultural differences mean that Europeans
are less worried about indecent content. Janet Jackson can bare her
breast as much as she wants on UK TV as far as I'm concerned (aesthetic
considerations notwithstanding) - i'll just change channel :-)

In contrast to some other areas of the world where indecency can be seen
as a terrible sin whilst guns/violence are commonplace so not a particular
concern. Just goes to show I suppose there is still demand for
localised network services tailored to a nation/culture.

And then of course there's the Great Firewall of China....