Filtering network content based on User Subscription

Mark Borchers mborchers at igillc.com
Sat May 8 23:41:51 UTC 2004

> Your best bet in this case is to place a appropriately sized
> firewall at
> the customer's site, i.e. Cisco PIX 501 - 515 series or SonicWall's
> equivalent and link it to a WebSense or N2H2 content
> filtering server at
> your NOC.
[snip]
>                             Scott C. McGrath

Joe,

Cisco's Content Engine can also do the functions that Scott
mentioned, plus gives you the benefit of web caching.  It's
very feature-rich, and the command line looks a lot like IOS.

You can configure it to FTP your whitelist of URLs, and set
up user-specific or global time restrictions, which address
a couple of your specs.  For the latter, I think you need
the Smart Filter module, which is not part of the basic
Content Engine distribution.