Corporations becoming a LIR

leo vegoda leo at ripe.net
Fri May 7 07:00:22 UTC 2004

Hi Dan,

On May 7, 2004, at 12:02 am, Drumm, Dan wrote:

[...]

> We now have a European division, Ball-Europe
> (http://www.ball-europe.com). They have RFC 1918 addressing
> internally, and have the usual problems with NAT and overload
> addressing.
>
> I’m starting the process of filling out an application to register the
> company, based in Ratingen, DE with RIPE as a Local Internet Registry
> (LIR) so that we can request a /18 (or /17 if we can get one) for the
> 40 some production facilities of Ball-Europe, each of which will come
> across a VPN network and be presented in one block to the ISP uplinks.
>
> I was wondering, basically, if I have any chance at this? While RIPE
> clearly states the admission policy is open to any organization, in
> order to get PIR (Provider Independent routing) being a RIPE NCC is
> required, and I don’t know if a corporation would have a shot.
> Currently, we are not an ARIN member, but hold the Class B.

There's no problem with you becoming and LIR and requesting address
space from us. Membership is open to everyone and we'll be happy to
help you out. If you want to discuss anything then let me know and we
can have a chat on the telephone.

> The corporation exists in 6 EU nations, and I can demonstrate the
> requirement for >2048 individual IP addresses.

In fact, the RIPE community removed the requirement to demonstrate
usage of existing address space when it lowered the minimum allocation
to /21. We expect to update the IPv4 policy document when the two
policies in Last Call status have reached consensus (or not) from our
community.

Best regards,

--
leo vegoda