FW: Worms versus Bots

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Fri May 7 05:06:09 UTC 2004

Any simple NAT (PNAT, to be correct) box decrease a chance of infection by
last worms to 0. Just 0.0000%.
O course, it does not protects very well from intentional attacks, and do
not protect against e-mail bombs and
java script exploints.

In reality, having WIN2K after NAT box 100% time connected to internet is
safer, than to have Windows with all patches
installed every day, directly connected. Reason is simple:
- when system after Win2K do not initiate internet connections, it is 100%
safe;
- when such system initiates internet connections, it expose only
client-side ports and is not volnurable to any scans etc;

So, I agree - NAT box is the very first _mandatiory_ thing at home; all
other (fiorewaall etc) are not necessary fro most homehouses at all (but
antiviruses are, if you have e-mail or use web).