MD5 proliferation statistics

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Thu May 6 18:42:19 UTC 2004

On 06.05.2004 20:03 Steve Gibbard wrote:

> I'm curious as to what sorts of response rates those who have been
> actively contacting peers to ask for MD5 configuration have been getting,
> as well as whether other networks that have not been being proactive about
> this have been seeing contact rates similar to ours.

At DE-CIX (www.de-cix.net) we have two route-servers (resilient setup).
We were not really actively contacting peers (i.e. did not really press
them to activate MD5).

Our figures (counted per AS not per peering as we have double peerings
both on our side as well as on customer side having two+ routers) are:

 120 peerings
  21 MD5 peerings

 ratio: 17.5%

Better than expected. I told a friend that MD5 peerings would be <10%.

Arnold