What percentage of the Internet Traffic is junk?

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Wed May 5 21:21:27 UTC 2004

At 01:56 PM 5/5/2004, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>Look at Table's 6, 7 and 8 - email, for example, is 1/2 %, so even if all
>email
>is spam, it's not that  big a flow. Unidentified is typically about 30%, but
>most of that is probably file sharing.

Thanks Marshall - a few others have said (paraphrasing): On average we have
seen about 30% by packets (but only 10% by bandwidth) are junk, with higher
%'s during major attacks and worm infestations.

For those who say things like "can't define 'junk' precisely", I would
agree, but I think we also can agree that we all have a general idea of
what junk is. Just looking for round #'s really. It isn't 0%, and it isn't
90% (although it seems that way sometimes).

I would also agree that it would be valuable for the community to track
this # over time. You can't manage it if you can't measure it.

Bill