What percentage of the Internet Traffic is junk?

Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed May 5 20:12:55 UTC 2004

Jeff Shultz wrote:

> So instead of trying to determine what percentage of internet traffic
> is junk, why don't we set up categories (I saw someone make a start at
> it a couple of messages back) and figure out what percentage of traffic
> fits under each category. We can come up with our own opinions as to
> which of those categories is junk.
>
> So I guess we would start with stuff that stands as a major category:
> e-mail, nntp, ftp, telnet, ssh, web... and then you start doing a lot
> of subcategorizations. I imagine it would start looking like a
> hierarchical org chart.

I imagine there are places that already produce statistics by protocol,
and I am reluctant to endorse a program that says one protocol is junk
and another is not.

I would prefer (but have no clue as to how to do) a catagorization
that has handles like "business transactions", "student research",
"warehouse transfers", "recreational", and so on until what ever
is left is counted as "junk" or some ephemistically similar term.

--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio

http://members.cox.net/larrysheldon/