Worms versus Bots

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Wed May 5 11:36:03 UTC 2004

Matthew Crocker wrote:
> We have all been through this before.  Linux out of the box is generally
> no more secure than Windows.

I would disagree with that, but that gets into a religious argument.

Really, however, the distribution involved with Linux is more critical
than that it is Linux.  Some distros are wide open, some are very secure
out of the box.  Again, however, this is getting into religious territory.

> Linux can also be misconfigured and
> hacked.  The reason why you don't see as many linux virus/worms is
> because there aren't as many linux desktops.  Once Linux becomes a real
> player in the residential desktop OS market you'll see more and more
> worms/viruses running around because of it.

Except that logic doesn't work because Apache has a greater market-share
than IIS, and yet we see many more IIS worms than Apache worms.

> Now, I love Linux,  I have
> 30 linux servers in production but it isn't the be all, end all to mass
> user security.

To misappropriate a phrase, "Its not magic pixie dust," I'll agree with you.
--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous