"Network Card Theft Causes Internet Outage"

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue May 4 14:04:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Andy Dills wrote:

> "Law enforcement officials said four DS-3 cards were reported missing from
> a Manhattan co-location facility owned by Verizon Communications Inc. The
> theft at 240 E. 38th St. occurred just after 10:30 p.m. on Sunday and is

Is this part really surprising to anyone who's got gear in unsupervised
LEC colos where everyone is in open relay racks in a large open space?

> being investigated by New York City Police and members of the joint
> terrorism task force, according to NYPD spokesman Lt. Brian Burke. "

This seems a bit over the top.  A couple years ago when we had a part
stolen out of one of our routers in a WCOM colo facility, we couldn't get
the local PD to do jack.  A report was filed...but I think they filed it
in the circular file, because nobody ever investigated, despite the fact
that WCOM had just installed a card reader system to replace the simplex
door locks, so in theory, they knew who was in the room when our stuff was
stolen, but they refused to release the info to us.

I guess we should have suggested it was an act of terrorism.

> Trying to fix our terrorism problem like this is like trying to fix the
> spam problem using IP-based blacklists.

No...I'd say it's more like fighting the spam problem with nuclear
weapons...now there's an idea.