SWIP vs. RWHOIS

Eric Krichbaum eric.krichbaum at citynet.net
Wed Mar 31 18:43:12 UTC 2004

Has anyone run into other providers that refuse to take RWHOIS
information?  As I understand the general goings on, ARIN just wants the
information available so that we can generally contact the correct
people to deal with issues as the arise.

Now, I'm having an issue where verizon is telling a customer of mine
that they can't use an assigned block because it isn't in SWIP form.
And they're quoting back ARIN to us.

"
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. PLEASE USE THE
business-support at verizon.com EMAIL ADDRESS for ALL correspondence

While I understand your point, it is currently the Verizon policy to
have the SWIP beforehand.  It is possable to have the greater range with
one name and the subdomain regestered to you. For example look at
162.84.100.160 on ARIN's site. Search results for: 162.84.100.160

     Verizon Internet Services VIS-162-84 (NET-162-84-0-0-1)
                                       162.84.0.0 - 162.84.255.255
     Performance Group INC VZ-PRFMNCG-1 (NET-162-84-100-160-1)
                                       162.84.100.160 - 162.84.100.191

Also look at this link :
http://www.arin.net/library/guidelines/swip.html

If you have any questions, please contact the Network Support Center at
1.800.475.7840 Option 1, 1, 1 or e-mail business-support at verizon.com

Regards

Charles Leitner
business-support at verizon.com
Verizon Enterprise Customer Service
1.800.475.7840 Option 1, 1, 1
"

Have they ignored: http://www.arin.net/tools/rwhois.html and the policy
itself says "ISPs must provide reassignment information on the entire
previously allocated block(s) via SWIP or RWhois server for /29 or
larger blocks."

Am I wrong for assuming that they are unreasonable in this?

Eric Krichbaum
Chief Engineer
Citynet