DSL and/or Routing Problems

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Mar 31 11:41:57 UTC 2004

--On 30 March 2004 07:08 -0500 Jon.Kibler at aset.com wrote:

> Yesterday we starting noticing long delays on an ADSL connection

I am betting you are running ping under linux. There is some linux bugette
(I think cosmetic) that occasionally causes Linux to count down
(effectively) 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 secs. I once tracked it down and it
was something boring like DNS resolution in ping. Check with tcpdump you
are /really/ seeing that delay. Oh and make sure you are pinging something
unloaded, not a router that has better things to do. I have no doubt you
are seeing some delay (or you wouldn't have started looking) but I would
bet ping is putting you off the scent.

Alex