UPS and generator interaction?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Mar 30 22:35:33 UTC 2004

> We've got a APC power strip (20A vertical "zero U" mount with 14
> outlets) that failed (possibly from heat).  The circuit breaker tripped
> and would not reset.  Their response was that we had too much plugged in
> (never mind that we switched to a different 20A strip and it is working
> fine on a 20A breaker) and that while they would replace it, if the
> replacement failed they would NOT replace it.
>
> I prefer APC for small UPSes, but I'm not impressed by support on a
> simple power strip.

That sounds like fairly decent support for a power strip. I would have
let them replace it and see if the same thing happened. If you were
overloading it, the breaker should be resetable. However, a cheaper
power strip may not have as touchy a breaker or allow more power than it
should.

They have replaced full MATRIX 5000 units, batteries and all for me a
few times without quibbling and without any kind of extended service
contract on them.

I'm sure someone will have already suggested that you put an ammeter on
the load to see what is actually happening.

While I have never used APC's Zero U strip, I have heard good things
about Baytech's version (which I've also not used). YMMV.

Deepak