disabling SMTP

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Mon Mar 29 12:52:55 UTC 2004

At 07:20 AM 3/29/2004, Rob Nelson wrote:

>>when smtp fixup is on (default on many older pixes, i gather that there
>>may be some improvements on newer pixes), the smtp banner
>>is mostly obscured by * characters. the intent is a classic security
>>by obscurity play, to hide the type and verison of the MTA behind
>>the pix.
>
>Okay, so this is a problem when an SMTP server is hosted behind the PIX? I
>thought the fixup statements were for outbound connections, and with it on
>right now I get the full banner from SMTP servers. I don't host an SMTP
>server myself, so can't check that.

SMTP fixup is for hosts behind the firewall. That is after all what it's
trying to protect (in theory) by mangling the SMTP protocol. :)

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.