Overflow circuit

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Mar 28 10:34:49 UTC 2004

Please use your real name when posting to nanog (per the AUP).

> Two private line T1's between A and B - one terrestial T1 with >200
> ms RTT, the other T1 is over satellite with ~500 ms RTT. The circuits
> are being used for mixed VoIP (70%) and data (30%) applications. To
> achieve optimal voice quality, we want to route all VoIP calls over the
> terrestial T1 until it is "full", then divert all subsequent VoIP calls
over
> the satellite T1 (**while existing VoIP calls continue to be routed over
> the terrestial T1).

With G.729a and cRTP, you can cram over a hundred calls into a single T1;
what is the average and peak usage predicted for your deployment?

While I know it's not ideal, you may want to consider using CallMangler's
bandwidth control features to ensure voice traffic never exceeds the T1's
capacity.  That way you can route all voice to the T1, all data to the
satellite, and not worry about fancy load-sharing tricks.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin