Publish or (gulp) Perish

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sat Mar 27 01:08:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:18:59 -0600
 "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." <LarrySheldon at cox.net> wrote:

> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > In message <BC8601E4.3686%dgolding at burtongroup.com>, Daniel Golding writes:
> >
> >>Slightly off-topic...
> >>
> >>Most technical fields have standard journals that they use to publish
> >>interesting findings and new ways of doing things. Everything from Nature to
> >>the JAMA. Here's the question for the group: Do these sorts of publications
> >>exist in the networking/carrier/internetworking space, and if not, should
> >>they?
> >

> > I've approached a few likely parties; reaction thus far is favorable.
> > I'll post a note here when I get explicit go-aheads.  It's not free for
> > the publishing venue -- they have to have access to enough competent
> > reviewers.

Neither money nor reviewers are really needed. The XArchiv system

http://arxiv.org/

works really well in physics and astronomy and has a sparsely used networking
component

http://arxiv.org/list/cs.NI/recent

It works well if heavily used because it is open to any submission (including corrections
of previous submissionns) and because many papers are eventually published in print journals.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks