Redirecting mail (Re: Throttling mail)

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Thu Mar 25 20:02:04 UTC 2004

Adi Linden wrote:

> Right now I am blocking all network access for ip addresses I receive
>
>believeable abuse reports for. The big problem is that it is a manual
>process that does not start until a PC has already sent a massive amount
>of abusive mail. After all, it does take time to read and act upon abuse
>reports. By forcing smtp through a specific server at least some proactive
>measures are possible such as throttling abusive behaviour.

When you get bored fighting the fire with a leaking bucket of water,
technology exists that automates detection, redirection, posting
information to the end users and eventually re-enabling the subscribers
without any manual intervention. Makes days significantly less dull, but
I might be biased here :-)

Pete