Redirecting mail (Re: Throttling mail)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 25 19:41:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:25:51 CST, Adi Linden <adil at adis.on.ca>  said:

> Is there a way do transparently redirect smtp traffic to a server
> elsewhere on the network using Cisco gear? It would be much easier to
> implement this solution if smtp traffic is transparently sent through the
> dedicated box rather than 'cutting off' all users until they manually
> reconfigure their clients to use the new mail relay.

On the other hand, it's probably more effective to find some way of making the
Cisco gear block outbound 25 from abusive machines.  Transparently redirecting
the traffic is evil unless you plan to take all responsibility for relaying the
mail (including mail that has MAIL FROM/RCPT TO that you may not wish to
relay).

Everybody who's ever been a road warrior and trapped behind a hotel or ISP that
gratuitously snarfs up port 25 and then mangles your mail knows what I mean...