Redirecting mail (Re: Throttling mail)

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Thu Mar 25 19:25:51 UTC 2004

Thank you for all the information. It gives me a few choices to maul over.

Right now the single largest issue are compromised PCs that are abused for
sending SPAM and also send viruses. I am seriously considering the idea of
forcing all smtp traffic through a mail relay of some sort.

The newest viruses are smart enough to find mail servers that are
available to relay through on the network. So it is not the final answer
to just have a relay. But at the very least it will provide a single point
to deal with the problem.

Is there a way do transparently redirect smtp traffic to a server
elsewhere on the network using Cisco gear? It would be much easier to
implement this solution if smtp traffic is transparently sent through the
dedicated box rather than 'cutting off' all users until they manually
reconfigure their clients to use the new mail relay.

Adi