Publish or (gulp) Perish

Priscilla Oppenheimer po at priscilla.com
Wed Mar 24 20:03:04 UTC 2004

At 11:33 AM 3/24/04, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

>vijay gill <vgill at vijaygill.com> writes:
>
> > Powerpoints have a hard time matching the depth of a refereed journal
> > submission, because with the powerpoint, soundbites tend to take
> > precedence over content.
>
>Attention to sidebar on page 192 of the Columbia Accident
>Investigation Board report entitled "Engineering by Viewgraphs":
>
>http://www.nasa.gov/columbia/caib/PDFS/VOL1/PART02.PDF
>
>                                         ---Rob

Wow. The Columbia disaster caused (in part) by PowerPoint!? :-] Worth
checking out. It's on page 191, isn't it? I took a class in information
presentation by the fellow quoted, Dr. Edward Tufte. It was excellent.

Regarding the original question about journals, I have found the Internet
Protocol Journal to be helpful. Yes, it is published by Cisco, but it has
an academic approach and the editorial board is all non-Cisco and includes
luminaries such as Vint Cerf. A frequent contributor is Geoff Huston, whom
I admire a lot.

Don't confuse the Internet Protocol Journal with Packet magazine, also from
Cisco. Packet is definitely marketing driven, whereas IPJ is more
research-oriented. More on IPJ here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/

I'd be interesting in hearing what you all think of IPJ.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.priscilla.com

When your Daemon is in charge, do not try to think consciously. Drift,
wait, and obey. -- Kipling.