Publish or (gulp) Perish

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Mar 24 16:29:16 UTC 2004

> I believe that NANOG should have an actual journal of some kind,
> likely with issues on a thrice-yearly basis. I'd wager that most
> NANOG presentations have a paper's worth of information backing
> them.

researchers publish in real journals with academic peer review, and
would get no brownie points for publishing in a nanog journal.

vendors' presentations have megatons of paper to back them, all
nice and glossy.  deciding how much information they contain is
left as an exercise for the student.

operators rarely have the time, resources, or inclination to
produce good papers.

if one believes the above, this leaves a nanog journal as a vendor
press, of which, imiho, there already is sufficient in the world.

randy