Personal Co-location Registry

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Mar 22 12:41:48 UTC 2004

>Personally, I have a major dislike for daisy-chained control buses like
this.
>All it needs is one box at the start of the bus to go bad and you've lost
>control all the other boxes on the bus.

The same thing can happen with Ethernet or
any communications protocol that uses a
shared wire/medium. However, given the fact
that RS-232 is an extremely well understood
and simple technology, I don't think there
is much risk in using an RS-232 daisy-chained
control bus.

Of course the embedded systems folks
might be able to make a case for I2C or
HP1B or something else that is used in
industrial and laboratory control applications.

--Michael Dillon